Out of District Placement Looming? Preserve Your Right to Reimbursement

Sep 6, 2018 | Financial, Special Education

Whether your child with special needs requires care your school district is unable to provide or circumstances have led to a sudden need for out of district placement (residential or day school), it’s critically important to speak with an experienced special education attorney who will protect your family’s rights.

As Lenore Boyarin, Esq., Of Counsel to Sussan Greenwald & Wesler, maintains, it’s better to be safe than sorry when your child’s education, health and welfare are at stake. Further, failing to retain the appropriate advisors during out-of-district placement negotiations can cost you big financially, too.

Question: What can I do to preserve my right to reimbursement if I’ve been advised by child needs out of district placement (whether residential or day school)? If you have been advised by an educational placement advisor or mental health professional that out-of-district placement is in your child’s best interest, there are specific legal steps you must take to retain your family’s rights. There are many things you should do, but one thing you must never do. “Do not approach your school district with information about residential or day school placement. Retain legal counsel to ensure all of the proper legal notices are filed, in writing, in a timely manner. “Failure to be organized and follow the appropriate notification process gives the district the upper hand in negotiating reimbursement,” Boyarin said. “You want your child placed appropriately but it needs to be done correctly. The last thing you want is to give the school reason to reduce or eliminate your right to financial reimbursement for tuition and transportation.”

Navigating the special education landscape in New Jersey is complicated to say the least. Don’t make a move without consulting with the experienced attorneys at Sussan Greenwald & Wesler. We are committed to advocating for children with special needs and their families. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation at 609-409-3500.

Contact us now

For a Private Consultation

Latest Blog Posts


5 BY 5 POWER IN TRUST   What is a 5 by 5 Power in Trust?   A 5 by 5 Power in Trust is a clause commonly used in trusts. By its inclusion, it allows a trust beneficiary to take certain withdrawals from the trust. How Does a 5 by 5 Power in Trust Work?   The 5...


​ JULY IS DISABILITY PRIDE MONTH   Question: Why do we celebrate Disability Pride Month in July? Answer: July marks the anniversary of the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). It’s a great time to celebrate the spirit of the law that was...

Common Estate Planning Questions (Part II)

Common Estate Planning Questions   Death, taxes … and probate? Not necessarily. You can avoid probate by planning ahead to create non-probate assets. Non-probate assets are assets that can be transferred after death to the joint owner without probate.   Why...

So You Think You Need an Expert: A Cautionary Tale (Part III)

So You Think You Need an Expert: A Cautionary Tale   Part III: Components of a Good Expert Evaluation   This blog is the third in a series of guiding parents in getting a good expert evaluation to serve as the foundation of their child’s IEP or 504 Plan....

Common Estate Planning Questions

Common Estate Planning Questions     What is Probate? Probate is the process through which an executor or administrator gathers the assets of a deceased person, pays their taxes and their debts, and finally transfers any remaining assets to the decedent’s...


Year Published